Flowers, bees and other taboos in SexEd
Between 22-30 October 2018 five Romanian young people (and their group leader) took part in a youth exchange ‘Flowers, bees and other taboos in SexEd‘ in Hungary. The Erasmus+ program was hosted by Association Co-Efficient.
What is the project about?
Do you remember your first conversation with adults about sex or sexuality? Did it happen at all? Was it useful for you? If yes, in what way? If no, why not? What could be improved? This project invites young people to think about the topic of sexuality and look at sexual education and the approach of society towards sexuality from a critical viewpoint. With you we will go through topics like basic human anatomy and physiology, sexual hygiene, contraception and safe sex, sexual identity and types of sexual discrimination. All these we will do with non-formal educational methods; discussions, debates, group exercises, games, etc. At the second part of the project the aim is that we create a one-session sexual education programme based on the knowledge exchanged and processed through the project. The target group of the session is the teenage students of the afterschool in Gyöngyös, a town near our venue.
The aims of the exchange are:
- To make the participating young people more informed about various topics and issues regarding sexuality
- To increase the ability of participants to talk about sexuality in private or public, thus enabling them to enquire and maintain a healthy and mature attitude towards their sexual life
- To enable them to create a sexual education session based on interactive and creative (non-formal educational) methods to present to the youngsters of the afterschool in Gyöngyös
- To boost social competences and intercultural competences of the participants through structured group work
We involved 36 young people (5+1 group leader) from 6 countries (HU, PL , RO, BL, GR, PT), with the following profile:
- Interested in the topic of sexuality and sexual education
- Interested in increasing the awareness of teenagers at high risk of sexually transmitted infections(STI-s), teenage pregnancies, sexual discrimination and sexual abuse about the key factors and questions to a safe and healthy sexual life.
- Able to communicate in English. The programme is based on discussions.
- Number of participants: 5+1 participants /country.
- Age limit for participants: aged between 18-26
Date & venue
The youth exchange was implemented between 22-30 October 2018 in Mátra Kemping Sástó (Mátra Camp Sástó). The groups were accommodated in rooms of 4 beds ans with shared bathrooms (separated female/male). The venue has its own training room, where our activities going to be held, and has its own restaurant as well. Webpage of the venue:https://matrakemping.hu/en/